Quote – PTSD – Narcissistic abuse from mom

NARCISSISTIC MATERNAL ABUSE

My mother was uncaring and ignored me for most of my life...and wonders why I ve abandoned her now that she s elderly? cherished79.com blog "Living in Stigma"

I wrote this quote referring to the selfishness of my narcissistic mother.  She fails to recall the days of ignoring me, joining in on anything I found enjoyable or excited about or the entire way she treated me.  Her abuse had an enormous impact on my life, and I remain in therapy.

Now she is elderly, feels isolated and displaying signs of illness.  She questions “Why don’t you ever visit or come over for lunch because it’s lonely every day in this apartment?”.  Hmmm, I wonder why?

I finally went NO CONTACT three years ago as I was tired of her never-ending abuse.

13 thoughts on “Quote – PTSD – Narcissistic abuse from mom

1. Elizabeth Clamon says:

Hi, I’ve been following your blog for awhile now, but this one really spoke to me. I had much the same experience with my mother and 14 years ago I did the same thing. I said No more! I was tired of being abused and used and I had to do it for my sanity! Keep up the very hard work, I know how you feel!

Liked by 2 people

I apologize for the delay, but this was hiding in my spam folder. 😦 Thanks for commenting and following. Yes, I grew weary of her ‘woe is me’, yet still nasty as ever. Enough is enough and going NO Contact was the best move I ever made. I also cut off contact with my brother (golden child), who scratches his head to this day wondering why I never got along with our dear, sweet mother. 🙂

I apologize for the late reply but this was in my spam folder! Your other comment came through just fine. I read your post and it was eloquently written. The posts I write about sexual abuse are toned down also, however, I try to remember to attach a “trigger warning”. Thanks for commenting and stopping by. 🙂

• Joyce Bowen says:

Thank you. I trained in writing in college and have been a freelancer for years. My first love was writing–second psychology, but they go hand-in-hand. What I realized in writing about my abuse is that most people have no reference point for the complete terror to which these types of personalities subject their children. My mother and father were psychopaths. Psychopaths do not play well with their children. I suffered pain and terror relentlessly. Now people figure I should just get over it. Oh that my scars could dissipate so easily.

Liked by 2 people

Wow, I wished I could have afforded to go to college to fulfill my writing passion, unfortunately, in the 1970’s when you graduated high school and where I lived you took courses to become a secretary 😦 Women were expected to only use their brain for that profession unless you had the money to go to college/university for a degree. Therefore, my writing experience comes from years of having my nose in books to escape the rageful screams of my mother.

• Joyce Bowen says:

Actually–I went to college in the 70’s. I went on the Pell Grant. I wanted to go into medicine at the time. Turned down an invite when I was 23. Followed a hell of a long trail to get my degree. Had a prof create a one-on-one course in writing for me in my 30’s. Stuck my nose in them books when I was a kid, too. It was the only time my mother left me alone. I had a mentor in writing when I hit the University, so I was doubly lucky. I raised two kids alone after my husband died in 1980. Took me a loooong time to finish college.