Yoga or Pilates?

Yoga Or Pilates: Which Is Right For You? (Infographic) I attempted yoga on two occasions, unfortunately, after each session, I ended up with a migraine.  So much for stretching and relaxation!

Image: pinterest.com

17 thoughts on “Yoga or Pilates?

1. KathrinS says:

Although I love yoga, I’m a Pilates teacher and would always choose Pilates as my go-to workout, especially if equipment like a Reformer is available as well. There are actually a lot of stretches in Pilates as well, and a good instructor will balance strengthening exercises with stretching, emphasizing proper form. It has helped to make me a lot stronger overall!

Kathrin — mycupofenglishtea.wordpress.com

2. baythebeast says:

Huh, I’ve never heard of getting a migraine after yoga! Usually I resort to yoga when I have a headache, haha. Pilates definitely feels good, especially for core work.

Have you tried doing meditations?

3. That Silver Spoonie says:

I agree with you, both forms of exercise give me migraines because they stress my neck muscles. It sucks! I really loved the meditation/breathing part of yoga, so I just do meditation by itself while laying on the floor. I love it!

4. thekintsukuroilife says:

I find that certain yoga positions make my conditions flair while others are nice for just stretching. Pilates, however, I find helps with joint pain and swelling, overall feelings of relaxation, ability to sleep, and so forth. At first it hurt the muscles (because they were weak from disuse) but after only the first few sessions the body symptoms of all the things I have decreased. Pilates can be effective without weights or bands, it engages many muscle groups so the work isn’t in isolation, and instead of trying to force the body into a positional stretch, it is about moving the body properly.

I know others will have their own experiences, but for me Pilates is the way to go!

Thanks for commenting and so pleased the Pilates is successful for you. It’s amazing how you feel when you finally discover a method that eases pain other than medications. 🙂

I didn’t find it painful for my body, just the results later for migraines. Too bad it didn’t work out for both of us who are looking for another way to avoid medication. Also, I have thin legs and any exercise involving the knee area hurt like hell. Thanks for stopping by to comment.

That’s true in many cases, and to be honest, I don’t know much about yoga or vinyasa, but so happy it worked for you. Hope you locate a decent studio that suits your needs. Thanks for commenting. 🙂