PTSD ~ Are you highly sensitive?

Hypervigilance | Highly Sensitive

This describes me.  As a person with PTSD, I always feel “on guard”, and automatically scan a room if it’s a gathering with friends, a crowd of people or anywhere outside my home.  Perhaps it’s a trust issue or maybe I don’t ever feel completely comfortable. Does this describe you?

13 thoughts on “PTSD ~ Are you highly sensitive?

1. emergingfromthedarknight says:

I also wanted to say that its worth working to become aware of whether or not you are an ‘intuitive empath’ because if you are you pick up all kinds of feelings in crowds and so may find it difficult to be in groups for too long. An intuitive empath as a child would pick up all the energies in the family and may then be abused or invalidated for feeling it or trying to express it. Which leads to self negation of the worst kind. Just some more thoughts, as its not pathological to want or need a lot of quiet time or to find crowds or groups overwhelming. ❤

That is so interesting. I coped with PTSD from both sexual and emotional abuse, but I believe the emotional (narc mother) had the greatest impact due to lack of empathy, only words of criticism and the trust factor was a biggie. I was never validated until my 50’s, and that’s from a therapist, a stranger. You have a wonderful knowledge, are you a therapist? Thanks for the insight. Hugs, Deb (I detest Debbie also) 😦

I startle easily also, and I think it’s so unfair that we have to aware of our surroundings at all times. When you say you don’t have enough criteria to qualify a PTSD dx, who told you that? Who is measuring your trauma? Trauma is trauma, and if it’s interfering in your life then call it what you want. I would look further into this. Let me know, not that I’m an expert, but at times people don’t know what they are talking about. Thanks for commenting. 🙂

2. emergingfromthedarknight says:

Trauma makes us sensitive as our bodies carry so much. Abuse or not being cared for puts us on high alert. Our trust issues date back to real experiences of being surrounded by those who were untrustworthy. We must always care for and love our sensitive self. We are alive and awake on a planet with people who so often encourage us to go numb. We must value our sensitivity and care for ourselves with tenderness, empathy and love. ❤

Those words are perfect to describe the impact of abuse (PTSD) and sensitivity. I thought I was this strange creature who noticed the most minute items when I walked into a place or scoured the crowd; now I know why. Thanks for your valuable comment. 🙂

• emergingfromthedarknight says:

No you are MOST DEFINATELY NOT STRANGE. That is the way insensitive persons or non traumatised persons try to categorise us. If they really really knew what we have gone through they should be full of support and unconditional love for us. Being sensitive is a gift but because we feel more abuse hurts us a lot and we really need to recognise and honour our selves as the precious beings we are. Love Deborah

Amazing how you worded this! My former psychiatrist used to repeatedly say “you’re so sensitive about things, that’s why you have a quick temper or take things to heart”. Sometimes pdocs only know medications, yet there was a session when I did ‘fly off the handle’ with my therapist when she ticked me off and she said immediately, “that’s the PTSD, and it kicks in at anytime you are sensitive to something”. Love back, Deb (I hate being called Deborah!!) :))

• emergingfromthedarknight says:

Hey Deb. That kind of thing annoys me because we have a wound that only gets arked up when we meet invalidation. I know others may feel differently but I think we need to know what our wounds and injuries are. Is it really the case the p docs understand the reality of living with it? I doubt it. I love it that you are a Deb. I personally hate Debbie. Hugs and love xox