Lady Gaga Writes a Powerful Letter about living with PTSD

This is a Must Read!

The complete letter: I have wrestled for some time about when, how and if I should reveal my diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). After five years of searching for the answers to my chronic pain and the change I have felt in my brain, I am finally well enough to tell you. There […]

via Lady Gaga Writes a Letter About Her Experience With PTSD — Music In the Dark

20 thoughts on “Lady Gaga Writes a Powerful Letter about living with PTSD

1. BelleUnruh says:

Thank you for sharing this article. I can relate to it, that’s for sure, even feeling like taking a shower is beyond me. Everything seems so very hard to do. Everything.

She is a wonderful writer and have to give her credit for sharing her story to the public. It looks like she’s finally gotten to a place where’s she’s healed enough to recognize that it wasn’t her fault and she has an illness. That’s something huge to be proud of. 🙂

I hid mine when I was working, yet thinking back, who cares if they found out about my PTSD and depression, neither are my fault and it was other people who caused it. Maybe then people will know how I was treated as a child. As for my mother, I wish she would read my blog, then she would know how she treated me. I went NO CONTACT with her about 3 years ago.

• Becca says:

In a way, I’m glad she’s seen it. She gaslights (makes me feel like I’m crazy for being critical of her). She isn’t the cause of my PTSD…years of bullying, abuse and a sexual assault did that. I’m on the autism spectrum (somewhere) which makes me highly sensitive. Things that trigger me, would probably be laughed at by other people.

Triggers for people who do not have PTSD do not understand what triggers are or the impact of them. My abuser used to work underneath the hood of his car (doing I don’t know what, probably nothing just looked like he was working on it) and he forever had black greasy fingernails. To this day, if I see anyone, anywhere with those black nails, it’s an instant trigger. Who would understand that is sends you back to when you raped at 6 years old?

• Becca says:

I’m so sorry you went through that. I can’t begin to know what that must have been like, but my expedience with triggers are virtually identical to how you describe them. There is one trigger I can’t deal with and if I’m forced to face it over and over again, I will take my own life.