Depression continues…

I didn’t compose the words in this quote, and for the past few months, I’ve been struggling with depression several days per week.  Researchers state that there is a connection between migraines and depression, and living daily with excruciating migraine pain; who wouldn’t be depressed. I’m pretty much housebound. Depression seems a never-ending crawl through muck.

But, writing is my passion, keeping me sane, and distracting my mind off my thumping head.  I’m starting Somatic Experience Therapy next week, anyone ever heard of it? Does it help for trauma?

Deb

Enhanced by Zemanta

30 thoughts on “Depression continues…

1. thechunk91 says:

Its such a shame how depression affects us, it really holds us back in life and is a very cruel condition. I have struggled for several years now battling my depression, constantly going through waves where i feel fine and then it comes back, usually worse then before. It plays a massive part on my home and social life, but i keep going, hoping one day it’ll all get better, and i remain hopeful that it will, and i really hope that it gets better for you too.

It’s difficult to explain to others about how you feel, using a fake smile and pretending you’re enjoying yourself when all you really want is to go home and crawl in bed. I have days like those with real darkness, then not so bad. My chronic migraines really drag me down, not allowing me to go out, more looking out the window instead of being out. Until you have walked in our shoes, people should keep their mouths shut and not judge. Huge stigma out there. 🙂

2. poetspancakesandpromises says:

A open letter to my depression

Welcome. Again. I thought those happy pills my therapist gave me finally made you leave but of course you’re stubborn and you didn’t. I didn’t feel like moving today , it was one of those days where I plastered a fake smile on my face trying to ignore the cracking of my soul inside , I didn’t feel like breathing. I thought it would be that day where I would finally give up but no, you ,dear depression, you made me live still and die simultaneously. Little by little  I cut off my ties with the rest of the world and tried to leave my brain chemicals to do what it does best : fill me with recurrent thoughts of self harm. I am tired and fatigued with the constant repetitive thoughts and the sadness hanging over me like a cloud and the feelings of worthlessness. Exhausted with not being understood. You make me feel like I’m drowning on land when people around me are breathing.

3. Naomi Byrnes says:

I’m not familiar with somatic therapy in any formal way. However I have found that learning to ‘be’ in my body and see and hear its sensations has helped me enormously with transforming trauma into hope and trust. I really enjoyed Raphael cushnir’s ‘the one thing holding you back’ where he teaches a technique for that. I combine it with the self empathy approach taught in nonviolent communication. I think only a trauma survivor could understand just how frightening it can feel to learn to see and hear our own bodies. Go gently and know that your body has helped you survive and thrive in ways you will come to appreciate and even love deeply

Thanks for your kind words. I did in fact, go to my therapy session but couldn’t get right into the Somatic part due to a vicious migraine starting. We did a bit of work, but my head was pounding. Afterwards, though, the migraine became horribly worse and as of now (Wed) I still have it and I’m going out of my mind. I don’t think the therapy had anything to do with it though. Maybe will try again.

4. emergingfromthedarknight says:

I have heard of somatic experiencing. I have great faith in it. I think our minds lead us astray but the body never lies. To me headaches are something our mind wont quite take on board, an inner message sending forward pressure to wake us up, because this week I have felt like my head would explode all week and it only abated when I started to listen to the pain inside and what it is trying to tell me. I will be interested to hear how you go with the somatic experiencing.

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much for commenting and your experience. I had talk therapy for 7 years with an experienced trauma therapist and we covered a huge scope of issues, but the migraine pain was always there. Last month I began seeing a new therapist, she practices somatic therapy and says it may be helpful for the trauma/migraine pain connection. I’m anxious to find out also. Seems I’m just popping pills which only eases the pain for a few hours, but surely enough, the throbbing begins all over again. Migraine hell. Maybe I haven’t put all of the trauma issues to bed. I’ll have to see but I’m going in with a positive attitude. Hugs, Deb 🙂

w