EMDR Therapy for PTSD?

A friend has struggled with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) for many years, and has just started EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) therapy.  She found it unusual and felt uneasy at first, but after a few sessions could feel a positive effect.

EMDR therapy has been declared an effective form of trauma treatment by a wide range of organizations. In the United States these include the American Psychiatric Association, the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, and the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.

This article in PsychCentral explains the therapy treatment.

(repost)

20 thoughts on “EMDR Therapy for PTSD?

1. smboney says:

I’ve had EMDR therapy without success. It works for a lot of people, it just made me feel weird. Writing my book, helping other veterans like myself and getting a service dog are things that are helping me.

I’ve never had it either, but a close friend of mine was skeptical at first but after a few sessions began to feel better. Thanks for commenting and so happy you’re getting a service dog, nothing like animals to soothe the soul. 🙂

2. bethanyk says:

I am currently doing somatic therapy. I was GOING to do this therapy but my therapist felt somatic therapy would be better since I feel so much in my body. It has been very mind blowing !!!!

Hey, thanks for your comment on this. I started doing this in therapy, but it’s with a new therapist and we’re at this point whether to tackle if my migraines aren’t connected to my mother’s narcissistic abuse (PTSD), or start with somatic therapy. 🙂

• bethanyk says:

It is a really amazing find for me. To see how my body is relating to all of the pain it suffered and where I store it. At first I thought it was complete Bs and wasnt even going to go back to the therapy and I am so glad I stayed. To really connect with my body and see where this pain was linked has been a HUGE eye opener for me. I hope you find some answers that will help

3. Graham says:

I’ve been through EMDR. It works. However, it can be done without a therapist although I am not recommending you try it. Google EMDR on YouTube and you will find a couple of videos that are quite helpful.

4. dbest1ishere says:

EMDR therapy has helped me a lot. It’s not an easy process and in my case it has been a long process but that is because of all of the traumas I have been through. I am still pushing along with it though because I do see the benefits.

Sorry to hear it wasn’t helpful. A friend tried a few session and found positive results, for myself I’ve never tried it. Insurance and costs always seem to get in the way, but therapies aren’t cheap.

Never is, unless you are born into money, or have a good job with health benefits, or it’s paid through a hospital or clinic, but if it’s a private therapist – you’re looking at a lot of $$$. Some therapists use a sliding scale for people with lower incomes, yet the fees are still high for the average person. 🙂

• sheridegrom - From the literary and legislative trenches. says:

I’ve posted several blogs wherein I talk about the difficulty of obtaining equality in mental health care as well as medical health care simply because of the way the system is skewed. I stayed with the Federal Government when Fort Ord, CA closed and I was going to have to go to DC simply because that was where I could protect my career without losing healthcare benefits. I couldn’t insure Tom anyplace else. Now that Medicare is in the picture, things are tougher than ever. I have several posts on that subject also. Medicare has nearly killed me time and time again. I still have full pay Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield plus Tri Care for Life and that pays 100% of our medical care, but rather we want it or not, the gov requires us to have Medicare and we pay 56% more for it than anyone else! We don’t want it.

I don’t live in the U.S., but do reside in Canada, and my opinion is our mental health system is the pits. In our province of Ontario, mental health is always on the back burner, government pension for a mental disability is extremely difficult to receive in many cases, and hospitals are overrun with patients. If you have a benefits plan with your employer, that is fantastic, but if you don’t, it’s not good news. Medications are very expensive also, and if you have no employee benefits, you are on your own paying for a psychologist/therapist in private practice. TY for commenting. 🙂