5 Things Sociopaths and Narcissists Say to Make You Feel Crazy

When you hear the word “psychopath”, you might think of Hannibal Lecter or Ted Bundy, but most psychopaths are actually non-violent and non-incarcerated members of society. In fact, there’s a good chance they’ll seem exceptionally altruistic and innocent to the average onlooker.

As described in the Psychopath Free book, psychopaths are first and foremost social predators. With no conscience, they’re able to use charm and manipulation to get what they want from others—whether it be families, friendships, relationships, cults, the workplace, or even politics. The bottom line is, they modify their personalities to become exactly the person they think you want them to be. And they’re good at it.

But when they no longer need anything from you, that’s when the crazy-making behavior begins. Here are some common phrases you’ll hear from a psychopath who’s trying to make you doubt your sanity:

1. “You over-analyze everything.”

Of course, there are people who DO read too much into situations. The difference with psychopaths is that you’ll always discover you were correct in retrospect. They intentionally do things to make you feel on-edge or paranoid, like flirt with a once-denounced ex over social media for the whole world to see. When you question them, they accuse you of over-analyzing the situation. But then a month later, you discover they were actually cheating with that person. Psychopaths want you to doubt your intuition by making you feel like a crazy detective, constantly planting hints to make you feel anxious and then blaming you for having that anxiety.

2. “I hate drama.”

And yet, you’ll soon come to discover there’s more drama surrounding them than anyone you’ve ever known. Psychopaths will first idealize you above everyone else, praising you for your perfect easy-going nature. But because they are perpetually bored, this never lasts long. They are pathological liars, serial cheaters, and eternal victims. Before long, these qualities inevitably start to surface and cause you overwhelming confusion. Anytime you mention your concerns or frustration, they’ll declare their hatred of drama and make you feel bad for reacting to their horrible behavior (instead of addressing the behavior itself).

3. “You’re so sensitive.”

Psychopaths manufacture emotions in others—it’s what they do. After once showering you with 24/7 praise and flattery, they’ll ignore you for days on end and wait for you to react. When you finally do, they’ll accuse you of being sensitive or needy. They’ll insult, belittle, and criticize you (usually in a teasing/joking demeanor), pushing your boundaries until you finally speak up. Then they use your manufactured reactions to make you seem crazy. Within weeks, psychopaths can turn an exceptionally easy-going person into an unrecognizable mess of insecurities and self-doubt.

4. “You misunderstood me.”

Sure, healthy couples have misunderstandings and miscommunications all the time. But with psychopaths, they’ll intentionally say things they know will provoke you. Then when you react, they’ll turn it around on you and blame you for misunderstanding. Oftentimes, they’ll even deny that they ever said it. This is called gaslighting—blatantly doing or saying something, and then blaming you for misinterpreting it (or denying that it even took place). The fact is, you understood what they said perfectly fine. They’re just trying to make you doubt your sanity.

5. “You’re crazy / bipolar / jealous / bitter / in love with me.”

The name-calling usually starts when things are going downhill fast. According to a psychopath, all of their ex-lovers, colleagues, and friends are crazy, bipolar, jealous, bitter, or in love with them. This becomes very confusing when they start reaching out to those very same people they once denounced to you, using them to triangulate and cause chaos (making the psychopath appear in high-demand at all times). Then they toss you in that very same “crazy” bucket, continuing their never-ending cycle of idealizing and devaluing anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path.

The only way out is to go No Contact. This means no texts, calls, emails, or even Facebook friendships. Otherwise, you can be guaranteed that they’ll do anything and everything in their power to make you feel crazy. The good news is, when a psychopath tries to make you doubt your intuition, it means your intuition was causing them trouble. Psychopaths seek to psychologically destroy anyone who might threaten their illusion of normalcy to the world. So when they begin playing mind games with you, it’s actually a strange indirect tribute to your ability to notice that something was “off” about them.

Article source:  Written by   @ The Minds Journal.com

You might also want to read more about Emotional Abuse here
5 Things Sociopaths and Narcissists Say to Make You Feel Crazy

Signs You’re Arguing With A Psychopath .

25 thoughts on “5 Things Sociopaths and Narcissists Say to Make You Feel Crazy

1. lynettedavis says:

Interesting how over-thinking is listed as the first one. My ex use to accuse me of over-thinking. He even told other people that I over thought everything. For awhile, it bothered me because I am a thinker, I analyze everything I think because as a child I was never told ANYTHING. So, I had to figure things out for myself. Finally, one day, I figured out that he didn’t want me thinking too much about the things he said and did because he didn’t want me to figure it out. When I did figure it out, I got the heck up out of there.

Yes, the narcissist loves to do a number on people and I’m so happy you figured it out. I also had to think for myself, most times I was ignored and if I did say anything that I thought was worth talking about, I was fluffed aside and called a pest. I believe that’s where my passion for reading and writing comes in because when you are on your own as a child, what else do you do? Thanks for commenting.

2. Patricia says:

Once I read the characteristics of a serial killer and noted that my ex who I was with at the time, fit them to a T. He once admitted to me that he would get up in the night when I was sleeping and sabotage the neighbors houses like cutting their cable because he was pissed about something they did or said. He would wake me up by yelling at me and then laugh when I was startled awake. He shot a hole in the ceiling just to shock me. I loved running errands because I could get away from his control for a time but he gave me a specific list as to what needed to be done and step by step how to do it. How could I be stay with him? He was also charming and I understood why he was who he was due to his parentage. No excuse, I was complacent. Good post.

Wow, how scary and how scary are these people who have no conscience either. How did you escape, hope everything is safe now. Where is he, or are you better off not knowing. Sorry that you had to live through this, no one should have to experience such a person with such hate. You don’t have to make excuses, it wasn’t your fault, you were brave and pat yourself on the back for putting up with this monster and staying strong. Please get back to me and thanks for commenting. 🙂 🙂

• Patricia says:

We were on our sport yacht and he got mad at me for defending one of our cats. He started choking me and pinned me on the bed. The other cat who was not the bed hissed at him so he threw me on the floor and continued to choke me. I started calmly asking him to please stop. He let go, got up and started kicking me in the ribs and I just kept asking him to please stop. He stopped and told me to get out. I went to the back of the boat, sat down and had a serious talk with myself. Here is what I said, “If you leave this time, you can’t come back. It’s not fair to you, him or your family.” Then “God help me.” I got up and gathered my cats in their carriers, packed up everything I had there and called my mother from the Marina pay phone, told her I was o.k. and asked her to come get me. I went back in, took money off the counter, laid down my keys to the house and car ( that was the stupid part)

• Patricia says:

Whoops! That was the stupid part, leaving him my car and my house key. Anyway I said, “I don’t want to do this any more.” and left. His pride wouldn’t let him stop me then but when he figured out that I wasn’t coming back, he was heart broken. I asked him to file the divorce because I knew the only way it would happen would be if he was in control. It was touch and go and he tried manipulation but I stood firm. The last time we talked in the phone he said, ” I can’t believe I will never talk to you again.” I stared at a spot on the wall and said, “This has to be over.” He has called my mom from time to time saying he needs to talk to me about his will. When I finally called him with my husband’s skeptical permission, I got voice mail. He called my mom and said he thought it would be too painful talking to me. He is still in his same house and supposedly quit drinking and is a skydive instructor. My life went up from there. I never reported his abuse. The aftermath us a longer story that I don’t want to bore you with. Thanks for your interest .

You’re a brave person. Get out! My mother is a narcissist and I finally cut off all contact (after 50+ years), which I should have done long ago and saved me tremendous grief. So huge advice NO CONTACT if you are able, they will NEVER change, you will never be able to please them. It’s tough but….

Thanks for commenting, and follow up on how you are doing. 🙂

3. earnestlydebra says:

This is such helpful information. I’ve had the misfortune of being there. Some things I’d overlooked are noted here. Even with distance, time and forgiveness it’s a hard truth to face that people intentionally cause the misery of others for their own end. I hope others in this situation have the benefit of reading this. Thank you.

Glad it was helpful. Sometimes you just don’t know it is happening, love this person, wonder why they’re acting this way and think it’s the way it’s supposed to be. Then one day you realize that you didn’t deserve to be treated like this, that person didn’t deserve you, and it wasn’t your fault at all. They are so cunning into making you believe things that shouldn’t be. For me, it was my narc mother, growing up with her was hell. I now have absolutely NO CONTACT and I don’t have to hear that wretched voice anymore.

Thanks, you are brave to even comment.

w