Imagine your child handcuffed in school because of ADHD?

Officer sued after handcuffing school children with ADHD

Now this is taking things too far, the child now thinks he’s a criminal for a disorder that isn’t even his fault.

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Two northern Kentucky women have sued a county sheriff and one of his school resource officers for placing their two disabled elementary school children in handcuffs.

The 8-year-old boy and the 9-year-old girl and their mothers are identified in the lawsuit only by their initials. The children have both been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The lawsuit says school officials asked School Resource Officer Kevin Sumner to help after the children were being disruptive in class. A report from the sheriff’s office says the children tried to hit Sumner.

The lawsuit says Sumner placed the handcuffs around the children’s biceps behind their backs.

A spokesman for the Kenton County Sheriff’s Office said Sheriff Charles Korzenborn had not been notified of the lawsuit and declined to comment. An attorney for Sumner said he acted appropriately.

11 thoughts on “Imagine your child handcuffed in school because of ADHD?

1. Kitt O'Malley says:

Outrageous! My son struggled with ADHD in elementary school, especially in kindergarten and first grade. I cannot imagine treating a young child with behavioral issues in this manner. I’ve worked in residential and day treatment with severely emotionally disturbed kids. Police were only used when absolutely necessary and with adolescents who were referred by the juvenile justice system for conduct disorder, not for ADHD.

2. vanbytheriver says:

Handcuffs are the physical restraint. Ritalin is the pharmacological one. I’ve seen far too many children that are indeed being drugged, misdiagnosed with ADHD, just so that the teachers can maintain control of their classroom. It is happening everywhere. Parents need to be alert, and question the process. It happened to me and my own son in 2nd grade, while I was teaching in an elementary school.

I’ve read that ADHD is misdiagnosed in many children and ritalin is automatically prescribed even if the child has it or not. Perhaps he has another disorder, or perhaps the problem is the parenting skills. How quickly does it take the doctor or professional to dx in the first place, as I imagine some are more thorough than others. I wouldn’t be surprised in some situations, if there is a back load of children to dx, there is only so much time to assess a child. Thanks for commenting. 🙂

3. Just Plain Ol' Vic says:

Reblogged this on Just Plain Ol' Vic and commented:

Removing the stigma associated with mental health issues needs to start at a young age. This is a failure of our school system, law enforcement and possibly the parents to not adequately support those in need.

Medicating cannot be our “go to” answer. We need to stop treating the symptoms and start treating the patient.

4. Leslie says:

I saw this on the news yesterday. It is absolutely shameful. They showed a picture (I didn’t follow the link, this is just what I saw on the news) of one of the children. The handcuffs were so high up on his arms that his shoulders were bent back. I don’t see how a grown man can’t take control of a small boy without this type of punishment. This is much worse than how actual criminals are handcuffed. To a child. What is the world coming to?

w