Weight-Loss Surgery for Teens?

Like adults, severely overweight children and teens are at heightened risk for a host of physical and emotional problems, including cardiovascular disease (e.g., high cholesterol and blood pressure) and diabetes, as well as poor self-esteem and depression.  Also like adults, growing numbers of young people and their parents are turning to weight-loss surgery as a potential solution.

Some 17 percent of children and adolescents (ages 2 to 19) — or 12.5 million — are obese, increasing the likelihood that they will become adults with even more serious weight problems.  “Current guidelines for weight loss surgery in adolescents: A review of the literature,” which Mudd conducted with a colleague, highlights the significant variance in current guidelines, particularly when it comes to age, body mass index, and co-occurring health problems. Factors like surgical setting and follow-up care also remain the subject of ongoing debate in the research and within professional organizations.

This article continues on:  ScienceDaily.com

IMO:  I’m against weight loss surgery (FOR ME).   If I had a teen-aged daughter/son it would be a no; too many risks.

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 thoughts on “Weight-Loss Surgery for Teens?

1. Barbara Franken says:

IAM not sure we as a society are handling our obesity in the correct way… Surgery is always a drastic measure, not to mention the cost to the healthcare and insurance which only pushes up the premiums… Can we not instead become a little bit more interested and aware in caring for ourself, our body and spirit… I knew from a very young age that my body couldn’t tolerate much sugar, in fact now I hardly eat any and in my pursue for natural healing I came across much research about all our dis-eases… And found the root cause to be inflammation… Stress and an overload of glucose from the breakdown of too much sugar and carbohydrate… But this is all we find in our supermarkets, processed foods and sugar drinks such as cereals, bread, crackers, rice, pasta… And it’s cheap… If we continue to live like greedy sheep and not stop this kind of food shopping and support the local farmers and organic whole foods instead selecting quality food instead of quantity food, we will continue our downfall… Let’s be responsible and take care of ourself… And NO it doesn’t cost more… Because eating a little good and pure fat actually fills you up. After my husband was diagnosed with diabetes I did a lot of research which I wrote a post about not long ago… Within three weeks we are both so healthy and have no more inflammation, high blood glucose, pressure etc, etc… Of which I will be writing an update about… Thank you for the space to share my thoughts here… Happy and healthy new year…

I agree with you wholly, and one problem causer has been “Fast Food”. It’s astonishing to see a mother feeding her 2 year old french fries and hamburger, it just wasn’t done in my day. People are always in a hurry too, no time to make a home-cooked meal, however times have changed also where women are at times the breadwinner with many children and if she’s not home, food doesn’t get made. We know what we should do, but somehow we don’t do it.

2. Summer Sunflower says:

My grandma had some sort of weight lose surgery done and I would never recommend it to anyone. The woman could only eat a small cup full of nutrients she needed to live and it looked like she was sick. She looked like she was dying, not “getting better.” I honestly don’t think weight lose surgery is the way to go at all.

Yes, you don’t know which way to go with this. When I was in the Eating Disorder Programme, I asked the dietitian about surgery, and after she explained how it screws up your insides, well, the answer would be NO for me. It was been a huge success for people and they have kept it off for years, however, it seems you have to solve or deal with the reason how you became obese in the first place. It’s wonderful and most satisfying to lose all of those pounds, but how will you keep it off. Years ago my weight got up to the 260 mark, and believe me I considered it.

3. Greg Mercer, MSN says:

Reblogged this on Big Red Carpet Nursing and commented:
    People should keep in mind that surgeries rarely have any the kind of controlled evidence of benefit and safety that we absolutely mandate of all medicines before they may go on sale in the US. ANY. When controlled studies have been done , some very clearly ‘known’ benfits of routine operations have turned out to be comepletely imaginary, it seems.